Author Topic: Ludwig can't comment on slaughter practice in the Middle East 23.2.2012  (Read 1396 times)

Export News Tasmania

• Global Moderator
Re: Ludwig can't comment on slaughter practice in the Middle East 23.2.2012
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »
This man went to the Middle East at the expense of the Australian taxpayer, and he owes us an explanation.

WA Export News

• Administrator
Ludwig can't comment on slaughter practice in the Middle East 23.2.2012
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
Ludwig can't comment on slaughter practice.

Federal Agricultural Minister Joe Ludwig declined to comment on animal slaughter practices he observed last month at abattoirs in the Middle East.

Asked today by Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon to elaborate on the restraint and slaughter practices he observed in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar, Senator Ludwig agreed animals were not stunned, but otherwise gave no further details.

"I will see what I can usefully provide," he told a Senate estimates committee hearing.

"I will take that question on notice."

Senator Rhiannon asked if any of the people who accompanied him on the trip could say what they saw.

"Could I ask you, considering it might be quite fresh in your mind, and in the people in the delegation who went there, to share a description of that with the committee?" she asked.

Senator Ludwig declined to elaborate.

Senator Ludwig and a delegation of industry experts visited the region in late January to explain new regulations governing the export of Australian livestock for slaughter to local authorities.

The regulations require exporters to prove they can trace animals for slaughter, and that they are treated at or above internationally accepted welfare standards.

When he returned to Australia on February 3, Senator Ludwig said some of the feedlots and abattoirs he visited were processing Australian sheep, and that the practices he saw were as good as practices in some Australian facilities.

New laws governing the export of Australian livestock for slaughter were recommended at the conclusion of last year's Farmer Review of the livestock export industry.

The review followed a public outcry over mistreatment of Australian cattle sold to Indonesia, which prompted the government to halt animal sales until improved procedures were adopted.

AAP

February 13, 2012 - 5:21PM

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/ludwig-cant-comment-on-slaughter-practice-20120213-1t1sd.html