Author Topic: UK songstress appeals for an end to cosmetic testing on animals  (Read 834 times)

Export News Tasmania

• Global Moderator
UK songstress appeals for an end to cosmetic testing on animals
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
British songstress Leona Lewis has written to the European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Policy, asking for an end to animal testing on cosmetics in support of the Humane Society International's Cruelty Free 2013 campaign.

The sultry singer wrote a personalized Valentine's Day card to Commissioner John Dalli, outlining her reasons for asking him to put a stop to the EU's trade in animal tested cosmetics, according to Sky News Australia. The singer wrote the following:

"Like most girls, I love make-up, but my ethical principles are also very important to me. No new lipstick, eye-liner or other cosmetics ingredient can ever be worth the suffering and death of defenceless [sic] animals forced to endure painful toxicity tests.File:Leona Lewis.jpg

"These gentle animals are killed by the hundreds in some tests, despite the fact that manufacturing products free of new animal testing is perfectly possible through the use of thousands of existing, safe ingredients.

"Animals have suffered enough - if their pain has been deemed immoral within the EU, it must also be immoral outside the EU. To trade in their pain would be hypocrisy."

The EU banned animal testing in the cosmetic industry back in 2009; however; it still allows products that are tested on animals outside the EU to be sold within its borders. Leona Lewis is not the only star to lend her support to the Humane Society's campaign, with Sky News Australia reporting that actress Dame Judy Dench, actor Ricky Gervais, and singer Melanie C have all signed the society's online petition.

Animal cruelty is a hot topic in the beauty and fashion world, with many A-listers lending their star power to support different campaigns. Just recently, Penelope Cruz debuted an ad campaign to end the use of fur in fashion, so Lewis is in good company as she fights for her furry and feathered friends.

Last Updated: Wednesday, February 15, 2012

http://www.dailyglow.com/leona-lewis-makes-plea-to-stop-animal-testing-on-cosmetics-0215.html