Author Topic: Ludwig showing no signs of opening up wallet for Darwin meatworks  (Read 890 times)

Export News Tasmania

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3017
  • Karma: +0/-0
Re: Ludwig showing no signs of opening up wallet for Darwin meatworks
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »
But he has no problem throwing money at greedy exporters who are 'commercial interests' ... the man is a disgrace.

Export News Tasmania

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3017
  • Karma: +0/-0
Ludwig showing no signs of opening up wallet for Darwin meatworks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:03:42 PM »
The Federal Government is showing no signs of funding infrastructure to help the proposed meatworks near Darwin.

The Australian Agricultural Company is looking to invest $80 million on an abattoir capable of processing 1,000 head of cattle a day, and says it needs government money to improve nearby roads and port infrastructure.

Agriculture Minister Joe Ludwig says he supports the project but can't promise any financial support.

"I support the northern beef industry and therefore stand in support of projects such as that (AAco meatworks) which will benefit our producers," he said.

"But at the end of the day, clearly these are commercial operations. The Federal Government will continue to work with AAco and with the Northern Territory Government and we need to determine what role we can play with AAco.

"It's public money which you seem to think we can spend willy-nilly, but let me assure you, we do have to have proposals and we do have to ensure there's a public benefit,

"Building public infrastructure has to go through privatisation processes to make sure we're spending the money wisely."

Confidence in the abattoir proposal among Northern Territory cattlemen is quickly falling.

The Territory Government says it has referred the issue of infrastructure funding to the Federal Government, but a spokesperson for Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese told ABC Rural last week that no such application had been received.

It may leave the Australian Agricultural Company on its own. Despite it being an election year for the NT, AAco is getting little encouragement for its processing plant idea.

NT Cattlemen's Association president David Warriner says the silence is deafening.

"I haven't heard anything over the last week or ten days. There was a deadline at the end of last month but I'm not sure where AAco has gone with that option on the land," he said.

"If there's a delay, it gets more and more concerning as time goes on.

"If we get to a point where we are now and the money is still not coming, it's probably getting more and more unlikely and an unfortunate setback for northern Australia.

"Frustrating, yes it is. But there's a bigger picture at play here with the terms of trade of the north diminishing."

By Matt Brann and Carl Curtain

Thursday, 12/04/2012

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/201204/s3475766.htm