Author Topic: Government stooge Farmer 'salutes' industry role in ESCAS  (Read 1241 times)

Export News Tasmania

• Global Moderator
Re: Government stooge Farmer 'salutes' industry role in ESCAS
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »
The man is dreaming if he thinks that this trade will ever have a 'social licence', and we remind him that 'industry' was dragged kicking and screaming even over the absolutely minimal 'regulation' he recommended. To place someone like this anywhere near an animal abuse debate shows how corrupt this government and this indusrtry really are. The animals are not even protected by the hopelessly inadequate 'regulations' before they are loaded in Australia.Extraordinary? No, he cares nothing about animal torture.

Export News Tasmania

• Global Moderator
Government stooge Farmer 'salutes' industry role in ESCAS
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »
THE man appointed by the Federal Government to review Australia's live export industry believes the Government made the wrong decision in banning the live export trade to Indonesia.

Speaking at the Pastoralists and Graziers Association (PGA) Pastoral Conference in Broome last week, Bill Farmer, the creator of the Farmer Review into live export, admitted the live export ban imposed by Federal Agriculture Minister Joe Ludwig should never have been put in place.

"When I think back to that night when the ban was implemented, I thought to myself, what could they have been thinking?" Mr Farmer said.

In a rare public appearance, Mr Farmer also admitted it took longer for the majority of Australian people to understand the impact the decision would have on thousands of families in all areas of Australia.

Mr Farmer said he was asked to conduct the review, which has eventually led to the Exporter Supply Chain Assurance Scheme (ESCAS) which is currently being implemented into Tranche 2 markets and will be implemented in all Australian live export markets by the end of the year.

"So of course sound animal welfare was a central concern," he said.

"(During my review) I was really pleased about the number of acknowledgements by industry.

"I mean last year the world did change, in effect the process of step by step was not going to cut the mustard, much more decisive steps were needed."

Mr Farmer said the Four Corners episode at the time demonstrated that the industry needed to have a 'social license' from the Australian public.

It was Mr Farmer's job to find some sort of middle ground and to find a way the trade could operate and become socially accepted.

"When doing the review I didn't set out to re-invent the wheel," he said.

"It seemed to me that the right starting point for the review was to say hang on - we have had an industry, we have had communities, we have had producers, who during a period of a couple of months have had a couple of shocks, the uproar of the Four Corners episode, the suspension of the whole trade then the implementation of new conditions.

"I thought this was not time for new ideas, I thought it was time for the real world to examine essentially the sorts of procedures which were in Indonesia and that were translatable sensibly to other markets, for sheep and goats and so on."

Mr Farmer said ESCAS would deliver sound animal welfare across the board and that is what it was designed to do.

During the review last year many animal activist groups were calling on mandatory stunning in abattoirs, but Mr Farmer didn't believe that was the way to solve the issue.

"We saw OIE standards in both stunned, and non-stunned killing and we also saw acts outside of OIE guidelines that were both stunned and non-stunned killing," he said.

"So we weren't separating the world into stunned and non-stunned we were separating it into OIE standards and non-OIE standards.

"It was clear that introducing mandatory stunning was not an option because it would have killed the trade.

"I don't think mandatory stunning in the Middle East would have contributed to the sustainability of the trade.

"We also didn't make a recommendation to ban the trade which clearly some people wanted."

Mr Farmer said Australians also had to understand that the suspension of the trade to Indonesia had raised serious doubts about the reliability of Australia as a provider of protein.

He said during his time as Australian Ambassador to Indonesia, he had pushed that Indonesia should be thinking of food security first and then viewing Australia as a reliable supplier.

He said he did not think Indonesia would reach its target of being a self-sufficient beef producer by 2014.

"And I think that rug was pulled out from under our feet because of the suspension," he said.

"It will take some time to put that rug back."

Mr Farmer believed governments would remain highly susceptible to volatile public opinion but believed the ESCAS would allow the public to have confidence in the industry.

"I would like to think there is a balance between public opinion, animal welfare, the welfare prosperity and the companies and families involved in this industry," he said.

"But the reality is that it is imperative that the industry gets its act right and has a good story to tell."

Tyson Cattle
11 May, 2012

http://fw.farmonline.com.au/news/state/livestock/cattle/farmer-salutes-industry-role-in-escas/2550572.aspx?storypage=0