Author Topic: Live animal exports through Port of Ramsgate (UK) banned by council  (Read 624 times)

WA Export News

• Administrator
Live animal exports through Port of Ramsgate (UK) banned by council
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:17:27 AM »
  Live animal exports through Port of Ramsgate banned by council 
    Thursday, September 13, 2012   

LIVE animal exports from the Port of Ramsgate have today been suspended with immediate effect following yesterday’s lamb massacre, writes Andrew Woodman.

Thant District Council (TDC), which put the temporary ban in place, says it will only be lifted once suitable facilities are in place.

•   ​Live animal exports have been banned at the Port of Ramsgate by Thanet District Council  Live animal exports have been banned at the Port of Ramsgate by Thanet District Council
       The council said this would depend on the cost of building and running such a facility and whether it is a priority for the council.

It comes after 46 lambs had were killed yesterday because there were too sick and crippled to travel.

Councillor Ian Driver, who has championed the campaign to stop live exports since they resumed from Ramsgate port last year, said he was “over the moon”.

He said: “It is absolutely stunning news. I hope this is the first step to have a total ban right across the UK. It is a fantastic result, I am over whelmed.

“The people that stood at the port day in, day out, for the last 18 months, in the rain and cold; they are the one who did it. hey are to be congratulated. It is the peopel of Ramsgate who have made a massive difference, it is down to them.

“It now needs to stop everywhere, it is not acceptable anywhere in the country.

“There are few people I know who will be nursing hangovers over the next few days, me included.”

Just last week, leading members of Thanet District Council’s Cabinet wrote to the Environment Secretary calling for the facilities needed to prevent situations like this happening.

Leader of Thanet District Council, Councillor Clive Hart said “Thanet District Council recognises that live exports are a lawful trade, but we are also conscious of our responsibilities regarding the welfare of animals passing through our port.

"We are saddened to see animals arrive at our Port in this condition and it underlines the need to implement EU regulations strictly in order to avoid any suffering caused to the animals.”

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Live-animal-exports-Port-Ramsgate-banned-council/story-16896606-detail/story.html