Author Topic: Kelvin Thomson MP posts comment of the treament of AU cattle in Israel.  (Read 832 times)

WA Export News

• Administrator
Kelvin Thomson MP posts comment of the treament of AU cattle in Israel.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:25:20 PM »
 Treatment of Cattle in Israel Abbatoir.       

The treatment of these cattle was described as sadistic, and appalling, not by me, not by animal welfare activists, but by industry and government representatives. 

They were right about that. They were not right, however, in suggesting the footage and the response represent the system in action. 

We donít know about this mistreatment due to the work of industry appointed auditors. We know about it due to the footage obtained by an Israeli journalist working undercover.

Indeed the best the Elders auditor could come up with when they inspected the abbatoir was that one of the gates was rusty and too noisy! I said last year when these arrangements were being put in place that it should be animal welfare groups like Animals Australia or the RSPCA doing this work. The industry ignored that call, so Iíll repeat it. 

If the live animal export industry expects the public to have any confidence in it, it needs to contract representatives of animal welfare groups to carry out audits and inspections of overseas abbatoirs. 

I congratulate the Israeli journalist on his work in bringing this mistreatment to the attention of the public.

Posted by Kelvin Thomson MP   at 11:01 AM