Author Topic: Dangerous moves by West AU Farmers Federation- wants powers removed from RSPCA  (Read 846 times)

WA Export News

• Administrator
WA farmers want RSCPA dumped from livestock inspections

The West Australian Farmers Federation wants the RSPCA stripped of role enforcing livestock welfare regulations.

It's calling for a WA Government official to carry out inspections instead.

The RSPCA inspects properties and prosecutes farmers who fail to ensure the welfare of their animals, but its government contract to do so ends in June.

Federation president Dale Park says the society has become a lobby group and can't fulfil its regulatory enforcement role at the same time.

"It's the only statute that is administered by people other than government, so one would suspect that maybe a government instrumentality would be a far better source of inspectorates, rather than a lobby group."

RSPCA national president Lynne Bradshaw says it's 'simply wrong' to suggest the organisation has become a lobby group and it will continue to fight to protect animal welfare.

She says she's confident the organisation will continue its inspectorate role.

"I don't think there's any question. I think we're confident, we've always had the role historically and there's no reason to suggest that wouldn't continue," she said.

"I think it's part of a propaganda campaign from certain quarters."

By Jake Kagi

Wednesday, 27/02/2013

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/201302/s3699448.htm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:40:08 PM by WA Export News »